The Oromia Media Network (OMN) is an independent, nonpartisan and nonprofit news enterprise whose mission is to produce original and citizen-driven reporting on Oromia, the largest and most populous state in Ethiopia. OMN seeks to offer thought-provoking, contextual, and nuanced coverage of critical public interest issues thereby bringing much needed attention to under-reported stories in the region. Our goal is to create a strong and sustainable multilingual newsroom that will serve as a reliable source of information about the Oromo people, the Ethiopian state, and the greater Horn of Africa region. OMN is looking to hire an experienced reporter for its broadcast service that is planned to commence soon.
Initiate story ideas
Undertake research to develop story ideas
Take assignments, gather news information
Write scripts and edit the story into a presentable form
Collect audience feedback on daily basis, and report to the editor
Take reporting assignments and do field reporting as a reporter
Assist their editors across all the processes of production of daily newscast
Qualification and experience:
– BA in Media studies, journalism, communications, media management with at least 3 years of experience in broadcast journalism, including, reporting, editing and producing news reports and broadcast programs. Demonstrated skills of writing, reading, and speaking Afan Oromo language.
– MA/BA in Afan Oromo language and communications with two years r practical experience of reporting in broadcast environment.
– Diploma in journalism, communication, Afaan Oromo with two years of practical experience in broadcast reporting. Proven track of reporting in Oromo media is advantageous.
– Multi-skilling, such as video camera operation, audio-visual editing experience, and presentation skills are advantageous
– Resides or willing to relocate to Minneapolis/St. Paul
Salary is based on experience and negotiable.
Number of Opening: 1
How to Apply:
Please send your resume ( along names and contacts of 2 professional references), cover letter ( written either in English or Afaan Oromo) and two samples of your work ( written, audio, or video) to email@example.com.
Deadline: March 1st, 2014
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail hard copy to:
Oromia Media Network
18 North 12th Street #3870
Minneapolis, MN 55403